Do you ever think about how the little things in each day so often turn out the be the big things? The things that seem so simple to one person but feel so monumental to another, like a hand written encouragement note to someone you know is struggling, or letting someone go in front of you in the line at Starbucks. Or how about stopping while making dinner to read your kids a story because they’ve waited all day – takes only 5 minutes for you but means so much to them.
It’s those small things, that we do that leave footprints on people’s lives, on their hearts and on their actions towards others. And I do stop to think about it, sometimes. I plan to stop and do the “little things” more, I mean to and then life gets in the way, I get preoccupied and another day goes by before I send that thank you note. It just feels like a perpetuated cycle of good intentions…
That’s why, when I heard that Energizer and Evergreen were working together on their “Do Something Little, Help Something Big” initiative I was excited to jump on board! In this initiative Energizer will be contributing $100,000 to Evergreen to make our cities more liveable. For each pledge that we make Energizer is going to make a $10 donation to Evergreen.
Evergreen is a national non-profit organization that’s been making cities more liveable since 1991 by helping Canadians to create and sustain dynamic outdoor spaces (schools, communities and homes). They are encouraging them to take a more hands-on approach to their urban environment, helping to improve the health of our cities, forever.
That matters to me, that our future is healthy, that people are making an effort to do something for the environment rather than against it, because this is the world my children are growing up in. It’s the world my grandchildren (because Bethany is planning on at least 4 kids, which she will name very bizarre things and will raise living next door to my parents) will grow up in and one I will grow old in. And since I’m not such a fan of pollution, Global Warming and toxic waste – I’m totally on board with this.
I went right on over to the “Do Something Little, Help Something Big” initiative, signed up and made a few pledges. Not only is the money going to an awesome cause, I have the reminder I need to help encourage me to do my part!
Here’s what I pledged:
1. I will let a car merge in front of me – I try to remember this anyways, since it’s courteous driving but let’s face it. Every once in awhile a girl is in a hurry….I’m gonna work on that.
2. I will donate to a food drive or the local food bank – This is HUGE. Food drives happen at Christmas which is great, but our local food banks need food all year round. They need school supplies, and stuff for school lunches and people are always needing to eat. So, we as a family are going to do more.
3. I will tell my kids how much I love them – Um duh! But I’m going to add in a couple extra (100) I love you’s, because they deserve it.
4. I will donate clothes I don’t wear any more to charity (an act of giving that benefits the landfill too) – I totally have clothes that need getting rid of that are cluttering my closet (floor/corner). I’m going to get on it ASAP to donate them, someone else could be wearing them, and I forget that.
5. I will take shorter showers – My Dad will love this. As a youth I would spend 45 minutes, without exaggeration in the shower. Soaking up the warmth, the comfort and using up all the water. Now over the years and the birth of my children those showers have been shortened dramatically. But I could still stand to hop out a few minutes sooner.
Want to join the fun? It’s so easy! All you need to do is click HERE, head on over to “Do Something Little, Help Something Big”, sign up, pledge (they help you in the idea department) and then do it! Energizer makes a contribution because you pledged, people in your own community benefit from your small acts and you feel good about you!
So GO! Pledge! And come back to tell me about it!Disclosure – I am participating in the Energizer Canada & Evergreen “Do Something Little, Help Something Big” program by Mom Central Canada on behalf of Energizer Canada & Evergreen. I received compensation as a thank you for my participation. The opinions on this blog are my own