I can’t talk about the hard stuff today. It feels like right now it’s all I think about, talk about, dream about…I feel like there is an elephant who’s taken up residence on my chest, and today I don’t want to talk about Horton.
So I won’t. Instead, let’s talk Christmas! Or rather, the top 10 things I LOVE about Christmas!
10. The music. There’s nothing like putting on a little Mariah Carey and belting it out while dancing around the house.
9. The lights. Our girls love driving around looking at Christmas lights, and watching them sparkle in the
snow rain, and so do I. There’s something so soothing about watching the lights…also, sometimes I might get a kick out of the houses that look like the christmas light elves barfed on their lawn.
8. My annual Christmas shopping day with my Dad. It’s not so much about the shopping that day as it is the time with him. It seems like now that I’m grown with a family of my own, it’s the only time of year we get together on our own.
7. The shopping. I love how busy the mall is, the hustle and bustle, the Christmas tunes and candy cane everything. The parcels, the sales, the lame stocking stuffers – I love it all!
6. Christmas movies – the season wouldn’t be complete without Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer or Frosty the Snowman for the
parents kids. Nor would I miss The Santa Clause with Tim Allen or Miracle on 34th Street (the new one).
5. Christmas cards. I love to send them, and I love to receive them. Sometimes, with the invention of email, texting and the internet it feels like Christmas and Christmas cards is the only time Canada post still has a purpose.
4. Wrapping gifts. I always leave it until Christmas eve, mostly because I’m easily distracted. But I love it. I’m up late and so enjoy taking the time to make tidy corners, and putting on fancy bow creations, knowing full well come morning the girls are going to tear their way through them.
3. The Christmas Eve service at Church. Christmas Eve, along with Easter Sunday services hold the most intense amount of emotion for me.
2. The baking. I do copious amounts of holiday baking, both for Corey and the kids, as well as gifts for many of our friends. I love the smells, and the butter, and
eating half the batter licking the spoon. I love watching people enjoy it and the time spent trying new recipes.
1. Celebrating the birth of Jesus. He came as a baby, and while we don’t know the exact day, we do set aside one day to really shout it out! He came, and when He did, his mother held him in her arms and loved him with the same passion that I love our children. He was perfect, and precious and came into this world to save me, to save my girls, to save you. What’s not to love about that?!
What’s your favourite part of Christmas?