For the last year or so, I’ve been over reading Hey, Mrs. Wilson. If you read her (which of course you do) then you’ll know Jen is fantastic, and that she participates in a social network called Grace in Small Things. In short it was created by Schmutzie to “Wage a battle against embitterment” something I could use a little help with some days.
Everything that has been happening in our house this last year has really made some days feel more cloudy than clear, even when the sun is shining. I want to be happy, I want to be grateful and I want to teach our children the same. I want to see the Grace God has given me in this and everyday, and what better way than to commit to it?
So, here we are. The inaugural post of Our Family Stone’s Grace in Small things.
1. New Jammie pants – every year for Christmas my Mom buys or makes us Christmas jammies. This year was no exception, the pants and shorts in the set she bought are soft and cozy and OUTSTANDING. So outstanding in fact that I went back to Mark’s and bought another set. They make everything feel better.
2. Oatmeal – I have discovered I don’t have to settle for plain instant oatmeal to have it quick. 2/3 cup of water + 1/3 cup of fast cooking oats and ta-da! A yummy meal that leaves me feeling full and warm.
3. Little girl kisses – Seriously, the love – it’s overwhelming.
4. Seeing my Brother – Life has taken us in different directions, that’s what happens we you grown up. We see him much less than we’d like and while that makes us sad we understand. Seeing him Christmas eve made my Christmas, I got a real hug.
5. A Children’s Date – We know that it’s only 17 more days till we are at Children’s. It gives me hope and for that I’m so very thankful.
The goal is to make Friday’s my Grace in Small Things Day. I want to make a point of being thankful for the little things in each day and to recognize them, even on the days that are hard. That being said, this is supposed to help battle embitterment not encourage it, so if a Friday rolls around that I’m not in the mood – it won’t happen.
I think everyone needs to recognize a little of the Grace and blessings in our lives. You don’t need to have a blog to participate in Grace in Small Things, they have lots of options and suggestions over there – you should really go check it out!