Television in our home is a big privilege, it can be earned and it can be lost. We limit TV time to weekends for the girls in exchange for eye-contact, outside playtime, school work and an over all smoother running household. It works well for us and by Friday, everyone is ready for a little TV time!
As the girls get older I’m not always in the room when they’re watching a show. Cleaning, dinner making, going to the washroom alone (!!) all have me in & out of the room during that chill out time, life is busy. The trouble is if I don’t know exactly what’s programmed for the channel they’re watching we could run into an issue…
Months ago I put on a channel that plays “retro” cartoons (aka. ones from when I was a kid)(when did I become retro?!!). It was a show I’d loved and one the girls were loving too. I walked out of the room for 5 minutes and when I came back I was SHOCKED by what was playing.
There, on the TV screen in my living room was a commercial for a weight loss product. Women talking about being “fat”, voice overs for some diet something or other, and my two precious, beautiful little girls watching ever second of it.
The channel immediately got flipped, despite tears from the girls and I began to fume. How is that garbage acceptable for children (or anyone) to see? Aren’t we trying to send a better message than that?!
For weeks I stewed about it there had to be a place where I could safely allow our girls to watch the shows they loved and still give me some control over what they were seeing!
Then I was introduced to Kidoodle.TV
It’s basically everything I’d been looking for in an alternative to cable TV for our girls. I wasted NO time in signing up for the FREE 14 Day Trial (that did NOT require a credit card) to see what they had to offer.
The Promise: “TV. Built for Kids, Loved by Parents”
The Features: $4.99/month gives YOU so much!
- ad-free streaming video service
- 5 customizable kid profiles, that you can tailor to each of your child’s age, likes and show preferences
- The “Parents Room”, a secure, password required area that puts the control back in your hands. As a parent we choose what shows are available to our children to view, place time limits on viewing and personalize each child’s profile
- Web access means you can what all the great shows available on the go! Perfect for those long car trips you might be planning for this summer
- Kidoodle.TV provides safe, made for kid content only! There’s NO chance they’re going to stumble on something intended for adults only! *Phew!*
- Apps available in both iTunes and Google Play
As a parent I couldn’t be happier with Kidoodle.TV and the content they have to offer. It’s obvious that the creators have put what parents need & children love at the forefront of their design. The shows they offer (check out our list of favourites below) are both kid friendly and age appropriate. It’s fantastic to have control in the “Parents Room” over the content available for our girls to watch and the length of time they’re allowed to watch it for.
Now I can say to Bethany “You may watch TV for 1 hour and then that’s it. When it’s done you’ll need to find something else to do.” and it will happen. Otherwise let’s face it sometimes I say that, get busy & the next thing I know 2 hours have passed and the TV is still on.
Bethany & Audrey are loving that Kidoodle.TV gives them control over what they watch. It’s easy to navigate and once they’re time is up, they’re both happy to carry on and go play.
Our Favourite Shows:
- Jem & the Holograms
- My Little Ponies (the original, retro version)
- Inspector Gadget
- Bo on the Go
- Super WHY
- The Archies
The list could go on but these definitely top the viewing list, for the girls! Ok, and me too! Seriously, Jem?!!
I’ve got 3 more pieces of exciting Kidoodle.TV news I have to share!
1. Check out the Kidoodle.TV Facebook page to find out how you could WIN 1 of 3 iPad Minis!
2. Since I know you’re going to love Kidoodle.TV as much as we do, I’ve got a deal for you! Use the coupon code “MCC25” between now and June 30 2014 to receive 25% off a year subscription to Kidoodle.TV!
3. Canadians can enter to WIN a 1 YEAR Subscription to Kidoodle.TV! Fantastic, right?! A year of Jem, Inspector Gadget and The Archies for….ah, the kids!
How to Enter:
Leave a comment answering the following question – “What feature of Kidoodle.TV intrigues you the most?” and then complete the Rafflecopter form below for your entries.
This contest is open to residents of Canada only (unfortunately those residing in Quebec are unable to enter this giveaway) and will close to entries April 19 2014. Please see the Rafflecopter form for more details.
“Disclosure: I am part of the Kidoodle.TV blogger program with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.”