I’ve always done a lot of baking, a lot of cooking, spending hours in my kitchen. It’s my happy place, it’s my “thing” and it’s what keeps my family happy. I love the challenge of trying new recipes and experimenting with new ingredients. There’s always been such victory in the successes and even some laughter in the flops (because there’s always gonna be flops).
Learning to adjust to gluten free cooking has taken the baking time to a whole new level. Instead of a few hours in my kitchen, I’m spending full days. There have been many great successes, more than the failures but man, have there been some failures! (One day I’ll share them all – then we can laugh, and duck the flying bagel “pucks” together!)
This last week I’ve had 4 really excellent and exciting successes:
– Gluten Free Raspberry Scones
– Gluten Free Animal Crackers
– Gluten Free Oat Spiced Muffins
– Gluten Free Fudgy Brownies!
They’re not just recipes that turned out, but ones that I created that turned out and I’m pretty thrilled to share them with you! Not all of the things I try turn out so when they do, when all the reading, trying & studying finally pays off I get a little worked up. Think happy dance in the kitchen, complete with clapping worked up!
This kind of excitement leads to me taking many photos and sharing them on Instagram & Facebook, because…well I want to share them with you all. That and because if I posted them all over my actual walls that would be weird.
Anyways, this sharing has lead to requests for recipes, and I’m more than happy to oblige.
Tonight I’m starting with the Gluten Free Animal Crackers. These delicious little critters turned out so yummy, light, buttery and crispy. The girls love them and they’re great for school snacks. They work great as written, but with chocolate they’re even better! I also think crushed up they’d make an excellent cheesecake crust.
If you try them please let me know. Leave a comment, send us an email, or share on social media – just please make sure you use the hashtag #OFSBakes so I can find them!
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 3 TBSP Honey
- 3/4 Cup Butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 1/2 Cups of Gluten Free All Purpose flour (I used our GF Light Blend)
- 1 Cup Oat Flour (make sure it's wheat free!)
- Cream together sugar, honey & butter until light & fluffy.
- Add vanilla
- Sift together both flours, salt & baking soda and add to the mixture
- Once your mixture has come together into a dough, tip out onto plastic wrap, shape into a disk and place in the fridge for an hour or the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Divide into quarters and roll out between parchment paper, then cut into desired shapes.
- NOTE: I found that placing the rolled/cut pieces back in the freezer for 2 minutes made transferring the shapes to the cookie sheet easier.
- Transfer to parchment lined cookie sheets, they don't expand much so they can be place close together
- Bake for 9-12 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden brown. BE CAREFUL these will go from golden to really dark very quickly. Keep an eye on them.
- Remove from baking sheet, let cool a few minutes and enjoy
- Store in an air tight container
- These are delicious on their own but can be topped with chocolate for added decadence!