You know what isn’t my favourite? Buying things I can make. You know what else isn’t my favourite? Trying to buy things for my family and discovering that all the things I’m trying to buy contain crap. You know crap right? It’s Chemical. Riddled. Alarming. Products (acronyms make me happy). And finally, when I do find something that is safe (ish) I then don’t love the $4 million dollar price tag that’s attached to a box of 4.
I mean really – does it cost you that much to eliminate all the garbage?! I mean, how many people do you have to pay to NOT put CRAP into our food?!
Anyways *sigh*, with it being back to school season and the continuation of packing lunches I’ve been on the hunt for new things to add for the girls. We pack lunches year round because in the summer the girls come with me to work, but something about the back to school season makes me want to kick up my game a notch.
Today, after a really long trip to the grocery store I came home with bags of ingredients and a mission. If they can’t provide it, I’m gonna make it – it’s how I generally roll.
With all that’s going on right now, the convenience of just buying it done would be nice but I just can’t put garbage into my kids, not without feeling like a failure anyways.
So, out came the mixing bowls, the ingredients and a recipe. Which I read, rolled my eyes at and put away. I’d just make it up as I went along, like I usually do. I have a base idea of what to put in it, so…here we go.
Audrey decided to help and within minutes we had
food all over my clean floor** some delicious granola bars hitting the oven and a Banana Apple Oat Bread waiting its turn (Leave a COMMENT if you want that recipe too!).
The result was a beautiful pan of Chia Honey Oat Granola bars that smell delicious. They’re crunchy and reminiscent of the Nature’s Path Granola bars I loved as a kid.
School lunch conundrum solved for another week. Now, to start thinking about next week…this planners gotta plan!
What healthy/treat type snacks do YOU put in your kids lunches?
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats, gluten free (if needed)
- 1/2 Cup Quick Oats, gluten free (if needed)
- 1/2 Cup Brown rice Crisps Cereal, gluten free (if needed)
- 3 TBSP Ground Golden Flax seed (can sub regular ground flax)
- 3 tsp of Chia Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup of Honey
- 2 TBSP Coconut Oil (can sub butter or Rice Bran Oil but these do NOT hold together as well with other oils)
- 1/4 Cup of chocolate chips
- 3 tsp of Brown Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line an 8x8 cake pan with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl combine oats, rice krispies, ground flax, chia seeds, baking soda and salt
- In a microwave safe bowl combine honey, brown sugar and coconut oil, microwave for 1 minute or until mixture bubbles
- Add vanilla to hot liquid mixture & combine with dry ingredients
- Pour mixture into baking sheet and press down firmly!!! I place a piece of wax paper on top and use a heavy mug to press these down
- Bake for 15-22 minutes or until dark golden brown on top
- Remove from oven and immediately press down again - BE CAREFUL IT'S HOT (use same method as above
- Let cool 20 minutes then remove from pan and cut into 12 pieces
- Once completely cool, melt chocolate in microwave and spread thinly on top of your bars.